San Francisco – Retail District: Flood Building

San Francisco – Retail District: Flood Building
Gap

Image by wallyg
The James Flood Building, at 870-898 Market Street, was built by Albert Pissis in 1904 for James Flood, Jr., the son of the Comstock silver millionaire. The Classical Revival building rises twelve stories of Colusa sandstone high, making it the tallest building west of the Mississippi upon completion. It was one of the few structures in the city to survive the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake. The first story has six monumental entrance arches; the fifth through seventh stories are framed by Corinthian pavilions; and the eleventh and twelfth stories are treated as a Corinthian colonnade.

The Southern Pacific Railroad maintained its headquarters in the building after its earthquake renovations from 1907 to 1917. The F. W. Woolworth Company store located on basement level and first and second floors was the largest in the chain until 1992, when it was downsized, and later closed in 1996. More recent major tenants include the flagship stores for retailers, Gap, Urban Outfitters, and Anthropologie.